Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Invasion of the Tiny House People!


I have a large, dusty, project room; which really isn't that unusual I suppose.  What is unusual, however, is the fact that my project room has beige carpet (that is covered up with flattened cardboard boxes duct taped together) a fireplace (which I have not yet ever used) and glorious, huge, arching windows. You see, before it was my project room it was, for ever so brief of a moment, my formal living room.  Since I cannot envision such a large unused space; I am using it for all things that need sanding, painting, taking apart, putting together, and storing. (ie. my next-in-line projects)

 

What does my messy project room have to do with Tiny House People?

 



This is a test. If you are one, you "get it" that I would risk a negative first impression from my guests in favor of a more practical use of warm space.  You understand that I would repurpose a large space in pursuit or a larger, grander, life goal:  To build my own Tiny House.

 

Yes.  I am one of those.  I am a Tiny House Person.

 

The more I consider moving on to the next phase of my life, and the more I reach out to others who are doing the same, the more I realize that we all have so much in common.  Hipsters, hippies, mid-lifers, empty nesters, single or married; we're all a little nuts about our projects and spaces and this movement. (Or a lot inspiring, depending on your perspective.)

 

So I ask.........Are you a Tiny House Person?

 

Is your husband, wife, girlfriend, guy friend, significant other, roommate, sibling, or daughter one too?

 

How would you know if your life is being invaded by these crazy people? 

 

Three Ways to Tell if You, or Someone You Know, is a Tiny House Person

 

1) We envision a life, much different, than our life now - Some, dare I say the majority of people, are OK with doing things as they've always done.  They don't risk a lot, dream a lot, live a lot, or push themselves beyond their comfortable boundaries.  They key word here is "comfortable".  Pushing oneself is distinctly uncomfortable, unfamiliar, and down right scary.  Tiny House people are not like most people.  Those same concepts that make other people sweaty-palms nervous; we find exhilarating, empowering, and exciting.  We network, email, blog, surf, meet, write, and drink over unending conversations about all things Tiny and simple.  (sometimes at the expense of normal conversation with normal people about normal concepts like movies, and movie stars.) 

 

2) We see things not for what they are, but for what they will be -  I drove by a pallet factory not far from my house today and saw a house sized dumpster, full of cast offs, presumably going to the chipper.  What did I see?  Siding!!!  Tiny House people see an old galvanized watering can and think "Showerhead!!!!"  We happen upon a picture of a pile of wooden milk crates in the free section of craigslist, and visions of kitchen shelves dance in our heads.  We use materials nobody wants, and repurpose cast offs so they can live a new life.  (Sometimes, however, we butt heads with The Collectors.  I'm still trying to get My Love to give me his vintage ski poles, complete with weathered leather and bamboo baskets, to use as curtain rods.)



 

3) Simplicity is not merely a movement we read about, it is our life's goal - I grew up in the money grubbing 80's when Wall Street was an enviable career goal, when BMW and IZOD was king, and the notion of a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom, rambler with a husband and two kids was a virtually inescapable fate.  Don't get me wrong.  It's not necessarily a bad thing and I've been there, done that. What WAS wrong, however, was society's lack of emphasis or exposure to creative ideas, innovation, and philanthropy. Simplicity was a virtually non-existent concept. In sharp but welcome contrast, the Tiny Houser's of today are positively energized by the notion of throwing out all the things we have collected that mean more to others, than ourselves.  We simply cannot wait till the day when we wake up to a simple cup of coffee, a loved one or two, a cat (or five) and start our day knowing that the speed in which we accomplish our tasks is far less important than the meaning we create while doing so.  Less, truly is more.

 

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."  Leonardo Da Vinci

 

So, if you are a Tiny House person or love one, and are afraid of what that means...... maybe it's time to embrace this newfound identity?  Maybe it's time to cast aside fear and the nay-sayers?  Maybe it's your turn to make a difference in this world, even if it's only one Tiny House at a time?

 

If you have read this list and determined that you are not indeed a Tiny House Person, have no fear.  We're not monsters. (though the jury's still out on the whole "crazy" verdict.)  Just take a deep breath and accept that this is the time to embrace the change-is-good concept.  It's time to learn and accept that they are here to stay and they're not like you.  Tiny House people actually love the idea of junk shopping, and dreadlocks, and combining vinegar and steel wool to create a that perfect shade of  "barn wood" on brand new 1x6's.......for our ceiling.

 

Vive la différence!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment