Monday, September 1, 2014

Trailer and Sub-Floor Pics

My Trailer Guy happens to also be my neighbor so he delivered my trailer to me!



I hired a welder to replace some of the thread rods I had previously removed while we were adding outriggers to make the building platform wider......



....and he replaced the underside flashing as well in the rear corner which was originally designed to be a porch.






My trailer guy came back to move the trailer into the main part of the driveway so we could start building.


First step: Attach 2x4's to the "L" shaped steel cross members with eighty six, 3/8" x 2-1/2" long bolts.  
Yes.....86 of them.


A close up shot of the inset bolts and thread rods.


We also attached 2x6's to the front and back plates with 1/2" x 3" bolts.
The 1/2" bolts had to go through both walls of the tube steel, NOT an easy task!




Here's the SUPER DUPER easy part!
 
Fluffing and "installing" the 100% Natural Wool Insulation from Oregon Shepherd.
 
 


Then, we covered it up with 3/4" tongue-in-groove OSB provided by our friends at LOWES.


It looks like a dance floor but it's the finished floor of my tiny house.
There is NO WAY this floor is lifting off this trailer.  Ever.  Ever.


5 comments:

  1. SO exciting! I'm with you 100% of the way! You are inspiring me. It doesn't look as scary-teeny with the extension. a thought for me to tuck away. wavering between a Tiny and a Small.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michelle,

    Just found your blog - thank you for sharing your journey! :)

    A couple of questions for you regarding wool insulation:

    1 - For your subfloor insulation, did you only use the wool? Did you also use something to seal the cracks in the subfloor cavities around the wool insulation? (I only ask because I've seen other builders who've used foam boards and sealed around them with the spray-polyurethane foam, which I'm trying to avoid!)

    2 - Do you plan to use wool insulation in your walls and roof? Also, how do you plan to seal around your windows/doors?

    Thanks so much! :)

    Amy
    TinyHouseoftheSouth.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Amy,
      Yes, I only used wool in the subfloor and I'm not sure if I'll use it elsewhere in the build. It's harder to install on vertical surfaces than on horizontal ones. And, no, we didn't seal the metal sheeting beneath the insulation. This is one decision that I'm not sure if I will regret or not. In a nutshell, if water somehow gets in there I want it to drain out and not be stuck there. Don't get me wrong, it's not like I have huge holes under there, nothing even a mouse or bug could get through, but it's certainly not "sealed" with foam or caulk or sealant. For the windows I have used sealing tape already (basically, tar paper with one sticky side) and will use either expanding foam or small slivers of what ever insulation I use for interior sealant. Watch on my blog for those steps outlined in upcoming blog posts. I hope this has helped and good luck with your build! Michelle

      Delete
    2. P.S. Thanks for your questions and comments. I'm always glad to help.

      Delete